Sunday, April 15, 2007

Required Reading; Week 6

The readings this week were great. The first reading was not one that I agreed with. The statement that stood out to me was in Richard Dawkins first paragraph. He says that thinking that God has always existed is a lazy way out. I absolutely disagree. While reading all the different views on evolution I have come to a conclusion of my own. Religion is based on faith. It's very hard for a scientist (who does not believe in religion) to follow this concept. He has to have everything proved. You can't prove "faith." The definition of faith is to believe in something without seeing. A scientist who has to have everything proved will have a hard time with faith. That's not a logical answer. That, to me, is what makes religion so special. It's based on something that we have to put our full trust in, something that we can't see or even get all the answers to. Faith is something, to me, that really makes religion stand out from evolution. What an amazing concept to have faith.

On the second reading, Richard Dawkins gave an explanation for "why the purpose of evolution." He said, "no purpose." What a horrible life. To think this life has no meaning. That everything I do on this earth has no purpose. Then why are we punishing the "wicked?" Why do I choose to follow the laws? If this life doesn't matter, then why live at all? What a depressing thought. I know he wasn't referring to life on earth, but he was referring to gene survival. But if genes survive on their own, then our existence doesn't matter. I'm just some random collection of genes. Luckily they got together, so I could be here. ha ha

My favorite reading was about the fallacies. I realized that in every argument, we have some sort of fallacy. The list was so long. It would be hard to have any argument and not use some form of fallacy. My favorite fallacy was the celebrity one. I have always thought that, when I see a celebrity endorse a product, that person must need work. I don't fall into the "celebrity" fallacy. I never believe them. I always question if that celebrity actually uses the product, or did they just try it for a week and decide to endorse it. The best are the celebrities who endorse political things. Like they have any "expertise" in politics to support it. They have their opinion just like me. Just because we recognize their face, doesn't give them the "knowledge" to support their actions. I always research their background before I take their views on politics.

No comments: