Sunday, April 15, 2007

Critical Thinking Films; Week 6

These films were interesting. Some a little too cartoony, that I lost the meaning. But the ones that stuck out to me were video #6 and video #8.

In video #6, I disagreed with the things said. Everything was putting my beliefs in God as something so silly to believe in. It said, that believing in non-sense makes more sense. That's why we believe in God. That's not my reasons. I think believing in God makes total sense. But scientist's who don't believe in God would find believing in something you can't prove, wrong. Also saying, "Man would have to invent God even if such a being didn’t exist." So, no matter what, we need something to believe in, so lets invent some outer space being to put our trust in. Wow. That's a twisted way to look at believing in God. My beliefs are much more deep, than just some idea we needed to exist or some non-sense idea. After watching videos and hearing opinions like these, it strengthens my beliefs and gives me to support to say I'm following the right path. The non-believers must have a hard time enjoying or even understanding the fullness of life.

In video #8, it had some good points. Some of it, again, I disagreed with. But I like the part when quoted by S.K., "Old age realizes the dreams of youth; look at Dean Swift; In his youth he built an asylum for the insane, in his old age he was himself an inmate." What a thought. When Swift built the asylum, I wonder if he ever thought he'd be in there someday. That one made me laugh. The philosophy from Kierkegaard, "we do this or that. So do it, because whether you do this or that, you'll regret both." That concept was funny to me, because it was kind of "duh." Of course we have a choice between this and that. That's like saying an elevator goes up or down. Of course. But his logic in choosing, because we'll regret it, is just sad. I would like to think that making choices helps us get to happier results rather than regrets. I know we have all made regrets, but not all choices are regretted. I don't regret getting married, or having my daughters. I don't regret going back to school, even though, because of my kids, it's harder and more challenging. Just because something turns out bad, doesn't mean it's a regret. I think of those situations as learning experiences and not regrets. Without my "bad" choices, I wouldn't have the knowledge and experiences to make the right ones.

No comments: