Sunday, April 8, 2007

JOHN POLKINGHORNE; week 5

I really loved what John Polkinghorne had to say. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that he believed in a lot of the same things as I did. It's much easier to listen to someone when you agree with what they say. He explained so simply the reasons for believing in God. I liked when he said we should question the "unexplainable" things that happen, the "miracles." His idea of a God is, "a God who interacts with the world, but doesn't over rule the world." I agree. The God I believe in oversees everything, but allows us to have free agency and learn from our choices, whether good or bad.

I also liked when he said that how interesting different religions and traditions relate so much to each other. It's interesting to think that we are all, pretty much, following the same ideas and plan. We have had different ways of learning it, so some of the ideas are different, but we are all after the same result, to figure out how to become like God and live eternally with Him. I also agree with the idea that God is a very kind and understanding God, and he won’t deny they people the chance to live with Him, just because they never had the chance to learn of Him or follow His ways. I believe that we will have a chance to learn and grow in the after-life as well. We learn what we can here on earth and then continue to learn here after. What a horrible idea that eternity would be spent so dull and boring, and not learning and growing. I liked his views on the resurrection and our "goals" of doing the same, also. He was a very good speaker and very easy to follow. I really appreciated his ideas and views on the eternal perspective.

No comments: