Monday, April 9, 2007

Required Reading; Week 5

The reading was so poetic at times; it was a little too "wordy" for me to understand. I will definitely be reading some parts again. The part that did stick out for me was the idea of our virtues. "If we should have virtues we shall presumably have only virtues which have learned to get along best with our most secret and cordial inclinations, with our most ardent needs." I think this is interesting. Do we do things, in a deeper sub-conscious way to get our way? Do we pick our virtues? The ones that suit our life better? I had a friend growing up who was asking me about my religion. When I explained my ideas on the after life and the way we might be spending our time (to sum up our conversation in one sentence), she said, "You mean I can live the way I'm living now and not go to hell?" That sounded so great to her. Now, this friend was working at a strip club at the time. So this idea was great to her. I thought it was a very positive out look on the life after. (Even though I think she missed the point of our conversation) But I think we do choose, sometimes, our virtues that fit our life style the best. A true believer would do as Jesus said to give up everything and follow Him.

So I question my virtues and the reasons behind them. Am I following what I'm supposed to be, or am I only choosing what I like "best." I would like to think I'm being true to Jesus and following Him correctly, but I will be thinking of this whenever I have to make a choice. Interesting thought.

No comments: