Sunday, April 8, 2007

Critical Thinking Films; Week 5

These five films were very interesting.

Myth of Eternal Recurrence: What a thought! This film made me do a quick evaluation of my life and really ponder, "Would I do it all over again? Even the good and the painful?" I really think I would. I have had trials and heartaches, but my life has really been good to me. So, I would like to think, yes I'd do it again. But what an incredible thought.

The video on the "Zahir" was a little confusing for me. I think if I understood more about the Zahir, I would have enjoyed it more. Was the theory behind the Zahir that it's a powerful coin? I think I should look up the idea and then watch it again.

Little Things that Jingle: This was another "thought" provoking video. I liked the quote, "Science is vision multiplied." It's true that science does examine everything more closely and basically, under a microscope. Sometimes when we look so closely at something, we lose the bigger picture. I agreed with the quote from Abraham Pais, "To make a discovery is not necessarily the same as to understand a discovery." Just because we got a result, doesn't mean we understand how. It's going back and figuring out the "how" that makes science so valuable to life.

An Overture of Consciousness: This was a little more of a visual video. The thought that stuck out in my mind was, that we are not in charge of our bodies. But our bodies, kind of, run us. We go to bed at night because our bodies tell us we are tired. We wake up because our bodies tell us we've had enough sleep. And so on. What an idea. That made me realize even more, that there is a higher God that rules the earth and has created us. Neurons and other scientific “ideas” couldn't have created such a detailed body that can "rule" itself. Interesting!

And last, Darwin Redone: I agree that everything is "editing" you. It's how you handle the things around you and what you do with that knowledge that matters for our eternal existence. Just because you grew up in a bad neighborhood or bad living conditions, doesn't give you the reason or excuse to be a "bad" person yourself. There are many people who grew up in those situations, and even worse situations, and rose above the bad things and aspired to do great in their life. So many times we blame our "situation" and we lose the accountability that we make our own choices. I agree that, "Survival of the fittest is wrong. It's survival of the sufficient." What we make of our lives and situations is what matters.

No comments: