Sunday, March 11, 2007

Required Reading

I have to say some of the reading was a little hard for me to follow, because it was a little boring for me. I had a hard time keeping focus. But it doesn't help that I have 3 daughters under the age 8. So, they like to take my focus.

The few things I did enjoy reading was on the "Nature of Critical Thinking." I liked the definition that John Dewey gave on the nature of reflective thought, as "active, persistent, and careful consideration of any belief or supposed form of knowledge in the light of the grounds that support it and the further conclusion to which it tends." I believe that all our knowledge we gain, whether it's from experiences or books or school, etc., we have to take in thought of how these things pertain to us and how we gained that knowledge. Everything we learn is from someone else's "theories" and "experiences" and we have to learn from our own choices. We have to except all areas of thought. We don't have to "believe" it or agree with it, but there are NO complete answers, only theories.

Another thing I picked out that I liked was, in the "An Instructional Design Project," it gives us some criteria for critical thinking to follow. I liked the ideas of: -differentiate between fact and opinion - be flexible and open minded as you look for explanations, causes, and solutions - stay focused on the whole picture, while examining the specifics. I think these ideas pertain to many things in life as well. We have to know that "my" way is not the ONLY way of thinking. I think that beliefs in religion are completely different. That has to do with faith. But if we look at life that we ALL have opinions, then we might find life a bit more enjoyable and less argumentative.

No comments: