Thursday, March 15, 2007

Required Reading Week 2

I found the reading more interesting this time than the last. I liked the different ways of thinking about physics. I really loved the first reading assisgnment, by David Willey. I loved his views on teaching. I think it's important for all learners to have some sort of visual to help us understand the things being taught. Even the logical learners learn from visuals. I liked reading the different ways to creating the illusions of the magician. I hope we don't all try to do these things now. ha ha.

In reading Paul Kurtz's work, I liked his idea about skepticism. I think it's important to always keep an open mind. I know my husband thinks I'm a very big skeptic, but that's because I don't like to accept what others tell me, without learning for myself. Especially when it seems so far fetched to believe, like the UFO sightings paper. I think we should study religion with science, because they can really help eachother out in furthering both ways. Science has helped religion when they have recovered old artifacts, like the dead sea scrolls. Science has helped in understanding what's written on them. Science and religion can really work together. The problem we come in contact with is when we lose the faith we need to believe our religion, because science is trying to disprove it. That's where the line should be drawn. We shouldn't try so hard to disprove religion, but let the believers do that for themselves as they discover their own beliefs and what they feel is true or not. Religion doesn't try to disprove science, as much as the other way around. That's why religion is so important in life, because you will never disprove it. There's something bigger to it than that.

No comments: